Pages

Monday, December 12, 2011

Hiking Through Alpine Country

I woke the next morning with a miraculous recovery from the "neck marbles". It could have been the couch I slept on, walking around with a backpack or simply just Switzerland?

For breakfast I got hooked into the white bread and colored sugar sprinkles. Its a Dutch version of fairy bread. I was in kiddy heaven.


I liked De Ruijter sprinkles so much, Fabs gave me the box!

We headed out to Mount Pilatus where we had a liquor fueled coffee and goulash soup. The trek down the mountain was scenic and the air was crisp. There was sloppy snow patches around Fräkmüntegg. It was divine alpine country (but hard on the knees and ankles.)




As we descended, we watched a thick fog creep up the mountain like a cloud monster. Suddenly our heads were literally in the clouds. Even my hair felt wet.


We returned home and I pigged out on more bread and sprinkles. It's my new food obsession! Then I did some last minute cheese shopping. One cheese I particularly crave but can only get in Luzern, is aptly called the Luzerner. I also bought Saint Paulin which milder and also very nice.

There was one last important stop, a haring sandwich in Zurich. We actually took a detour to get it. Raw herring with onions is reminiscent of our time in Amsterdam. And it was a mighty good sandwich. Too bad about the fishy onion breath. (Sorry fellow passengers.)

Fabs sent me off to the airport and hours later, I was home to a thankfully warm flat. Unable to resist temptation, I snacked on the cheeses with the saucisson from Paris, bought a week before.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Care to pass a balloon? :)