Pages

Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Cycling in Olympic Park and Beyond

It was Sunday and after my morning Zumba session I rode to Olympic Park to meet friends for a long bike ride. 

Olympic Park has many wetlands and it's like an oasis off the M4, less than 10 mins ride from my house. There is abundant wildlife and tranquility. I feel comforted once inside the park and the traffic noise disappears.

Cycling in Olympic Park is enjoyable for so many reasons. Firstly there are many bike paths. Most go through pure nature, ie, bushland, wetlands and alongside Parramatta River. The paths are away from traffic but are well linked. From Olympic Park, if you cross the Silverwater bridge you can ride to Putney or Parramatta. Both directions are leisurely riverside rides. From Meadowbank you can cross a bridge and ride back into Olympic Park.

This was my first time going towards Meadowbank and it's a glorious open ride.

The weather gods were watching out for us that day. It was overcast and cool. We started in Newington and ended up in Rhodes for yum cha. We weren't planning on it but it seemed like the right thing to do, yes?

Sky Phoenix in Rhodes is one of the best yum cha or dim sum places in Sydney. I think their food is more delicious than most places. Here we are waiting for a table in our cycling gear. 

The beginning of our pig-out. It was a happy indulgence and a convenient break from our bike ride. Some folks tour cafes on their ride, we have yum cha. 

I had a smashing time with my friends and cleared at least 30km of riding. I felt extremely blessed to be living close to an naturalistic area where there are so many bike paths.  The fun is free and easy here. I can get to many places around Olympic Park and it's all on pedal powder!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Care to pass a balloon? :)