Pages

Sunday, December 13, 2015

A Picnic At Barangaroo Reserve

Barangaroo Reserve of Sydney Harbour is part of my new Sydney. The area has been closed off to the public for 100 years and now it's a picturesque park to stroll through. The only thing it has in common with the nearby skyrises is a million dollar view.

My friends and I had a picnic here and the weather was splendid. By my standards that means it was overcast and warm. (In Australia you can still get skin damage even in cloudy weather so if it's a sunny day, I try to stay indoors.)

Its a bit of a hike to get to the reserve on foot from either Wynyard or Circular Quay train stations. The route from Circular Quay is prettier and took about 20 minutes, via The Rocks. I guess the location explains how it wasn't crowded even for a Saturday. There was plenty of parking available within easy walking distance. 

We had our picnic rugs under a tree and watched the boats and ferries sail past. You can't have a city oasis like this without it being jam packed with people in London. This space capitalises on the harbour front location and everyone can benefit without competing for space.

Even in the city you can find live rock oysters and mussels.

They certainly look like the right size for picking. Some oysters shells were empty so people have been foraging. I remember as a kid, people used to shuck oysters on the beaches where I grew up. They would take them oysters home in a bottle. Wish I could do it now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Care to pass a balloon? :)