Pages

Saturday, March 1, 2014

Childhood Dreams Can Still Come True

I was having dinner at The Freemasons Arms with a dear girlfriend who I've known since kindergarten. We first came to this beautiful pub five years ago and it's still one of our favorites.


We've seen ourselves through many milestones over the years. We came from humble beginnings and we always had fun. As children we used to play hookey in year 4 and shared a tree that was perfect to climb at school. We had code names for boys we liked and teachers we didn't.

In our early twenties we lived on instant noodles and worked the same telesurveying job. I lasted one day. We once shared a cheap and nasty bottle of vodka before hitting the town and I'll never drink the stuff again. We still laugh about those times.

Fast forward to now. We independently moved to north London and catch up as we always did back in Sydney.

I recalled an idea we had in the third grade when we loved Enid Blyton books. They set our first impressions of Britain. To us it was a land of quaint houses with wood burning stoves, strict boarding schools, lush magical woods and foraging heaven.

We were strolling in the playground chatting about Enid Blyton. We decided that one day we would visit her final resting place in Britain. We were excited at this idea however whimsical it was.

My friend remembered that very conversation and checked her iphone. Suddenly she had a look of disbelief on her face. "I can't believe it. Look!"

She held her phone to my face. Enid Blyton was laid to rest in Golders Green Crematorium. Unbelievable. Our homes are equidistant from there.

Isn't it a coincidence that my friend and I were drawn together by Enid Blyton's books as children and after almost thirty years, we unwittingly moved to the faraway area of where we said we'd visit one day.

So this is proof that we can still fulfil our childhood dreams. And for this one, we will!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Care to pass a balloon? :)