Pages

Sunday, January 15, 2012

A Night In Seoul

My Oz trip came to an end and as a final taste of freedom, I spent a night in Korea.

I returned to Incheon airport where I fearlessly pushed the etiquette button for kicks. I was then herded onto a bus with sunburnt Brits and Aussies in flip flops. After an hour we got off the motorway and pulled into an enormous bustling city.

It looked like rush hour at 9pm. The city roads were 4 lanes wide in each direction and bright lights were everywhere.

Was delighted to finally check into the Seoul Royal Hotel. My room was nice for airline funded but there wasn't much time to enjoy it. Fortunately we were in a shopping district with street markets. I explored the area and tasted the strangest looking street food on offer.

Travelling with class. Fancy lights, plush furnishings and errhhh toilet roll?

The busy night markets.

Tempted by these chunky sea snails.

They were chewy and served on plastic bags for hygiene. (As in a “lack of” since there was no running water.)

Live seafood on display. These looked like writhing male-bits. Sorry but I really think they do!

Barbecued white corn. The kernels were fat, sweet, chewy and falls off the cob. I also tried fish jerky which was amber coloured, resembling a flattened conglomerate of fish scales. It was flash grilled and served in an envelope made from scrap paper.

The streets were buzzing and I loved the atmosphere. Shops stayed open until 11pm and by then my hands were numb.

The electronic toilet in my hotel room. Yup, I just had to show you.

The next morning I did some last minute shopping and missed the bus to the airport. So the hotel staff put me in their airport shuttle. No one spoke English and the bus was nearly empty. Bliss!

I watched the scenic hills in the distance and a massive river which took ages to drive across Some parts were frozen and people were ice fishing.

And after a 12 hour flight, it's back to life in Europe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Care to pass a balloon? :)