Pages

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Chinese New Year Prep

This weekend I got the flat to myself because my flatmates are on holidays. I'm loving the quietness and free reign!

However in preparation for Chinese New Year, I did a shiteload of cleaning, grocery shopping and laundry.

You see, I was brought up with Chinese traditions (ie, superstitions).

Its bad luck on CNY day to:
1) Fight or argue.
2) Break anything.
3) Wash your hair (as it means to wash away your good luck)
4) Eat fried squid (because directly translated in chinese, it means to "get fired")
5) Do cleaning or heavy exercise.
6) Run out of food.

You're supposed to live a good day that's meant to reflect the rest of the year. Superstitious Chinese people are paranoid about jinxes, usually derived by negative sounding words and symbolic experiences.

This weekend I indulged with a dinner feast in Royal Albert Docks, Yum Cha in Mayfair and steamboat at a friend's. All for CNY.

Suckling pig with flashing cherry eyeballs. How peculiar looking is this?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Care to pass a balloon? :)