Pages

Sunday, July 12, 2015

The Four Lake Hike from Mount Titlis to Melchsee Frutt

My Swiss friend runs a hiking club and my visit to Switzerland coinceded with their four lake hike. We caught the 8.10am train to Engelberg and a gondola up Mount Titlis. We got out at the second stop, Trübsee, the first mountain lake at 1796m.

The weather was perfect. This was our starting point after we got off the gondola. It so peaceful and pristine, you could live forever here. 

Trübsee, only the beginning of the natural wonders to come. 

We embarked on a steep climb to the next gondola station, Jochpass 2207m. I was sweating like a pig. Others in the group were like mountain goats on steroids. I don't know how they marched up so quickly. 

We were rewarded with stunning views of the wildflowers, snow capped mountains and Trübsee. 

The higher we went, the more snow on the ground. Yep, there's snow in the middle of summer. I was so hot I wanted to smoosh my face into it. 

We were close to a glacier and I couldn't stop thinking about how unbelievable this paradise was. I feasted on the views with my eyes and the clean air with my lungs. 

At this point it was glaringly obvious that I was a tourist. No one pulled out their phones to take pictures and it seemed that taking a selfie was odd. But not for me. The moment was like a dream but the Swiss have these mountains for life. Souvenir pictures aren't going to take themselves.

EPIC!!! I could touch the clouds. There was an ascent completely covered in snow and my old trainers weren't cutting it. I had climb up on all fours.

After passing Jochpass, we saw Engstlensee, the second lake.

More postcard-perfect views.

Serenity.

More sights of the hike. We stopped at Tannesee, the third lake for lunch.
swam in Tannesee a year ago. The lake was the perfect backdrop for lunch. Families gathered around and we all shared the wood fired BBQ. Fabienne packed us a healthy lunch and a bratwurst for each of us. 

There are water wells, sourced from the mountain springs. I would take the water by the kilo litre to London if I could. It's the purest water that flows freely for anyone to drink. So clean and cold, it felt like I was drinking from the fountain of youth.

We carried on to Melchsee. I was here last year and it was the last lake on this hike. This time instead of walking to the base of Stockalp we went down in scooters.

It was scary and exhilarating. My hands clamped onto the brakes as we zipped down the windy road. I got off the scooter to pass the cattle grates but everyone else flew over them. We had to hurry to make our connecting bus to Sarnen for our train to Luzern. 

The wind was in my hair and we raced past cows chewing cud on the side of the road. I was on a high!

 We made our bus and I nearly fell asleep on the way to Sarnen. It was hotter below the mountains and there was a parade in the town. People were dressed in traditional Swiss clothes, carrying giant cowbells and playing music. They were dedicated in this sweltering heat.

When we got back to Luzern, I took a much needed shower and relaxed for a teeny while before I took the train to Zurich airport. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Care to pass a balloon? :)