Pages

Sunday, July 26, 2015

6 Foods To Eat In Buffalo

1) Tim Hortons - is a cafe restaurant chain from Canada. It's hard to go past a store without buying something and in Buffalo, there's a lot of them. My favourite doughnuts are these bite sized ones called Tim Bits. Sadly Tim Hortons is not as available anywhere else in the States. Even the  stores in NYC don't compare to the ones in Buffalo.

2) Pancakes - an American diner favourite. I ate this stack of thick fluffy pancakes with bacon and syrup. The waitress was so impressed, she high-fived me at the table. That's good diner service.

3) Irish food. Buffalo has an Irish heritage and there are many Irish pubs. My friend swears Guinness tastes better in NY vs UK. I think it's true because Buffalo is where I converted to Guinness from lager. We had a dinner at The Blackthorn Restaurant and Pub. I had the Triple D Platter with a mini beef on weck, mini crab cake, Irish beer soup and tater tots. All for $10.50. Beef on weck is a Buffalonian roast beef and horseradish sandwich. The tater tots are huge and the soup was so thick it resembled dip.

4) Buffalo wings, or just "wings" as they call them are served in most restaurants. They are fiery and an obligatory starter. I get the feeling that Buffalonians have a taste for chilli. These were from The Blackthorn and they're the biggest I've ever seen. 

5) Maple bacon - Canada is a bridge away from Buffalo and one of it's best imports, after Tim Hortons, is maple bacon. We had it for breakfast and the house smelt like maple syrup. My friend's mom couldn't believe I took a photo of it sizzling in the pan. They also have freakishly large white eggs but I'll spare you that photo.

6) Polish food. Buffalo has one of the largest Polish populations in the country. We had dinner at Potts Deli and Grille and I couldn't wait to try their pierogis which are Polish dumplings. This is their Polish platter: golomki (stuffed cabbage roll with beef), zrazy (rolled beef with vegetables), smoked kielbasa (sausage), sweet & sour cabbage and pierogi. It was home cooked comfort food. Perfect for the cold weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Care to pass a balloon? :)