Pages

Sunday, July 12, 2015

JP Morgan Challenge and Zumba Masterclass

I had two calorie busting events in a week. First it was the JPM Challenge which I sign up to every year. There was a tube strike that day and many people dropped out because of it.

It was a hard slog. I felt like I was slowly dying after 10 mins and let myself take three brisk walking breaks. I was parched, heavily panting and ready to pass out. My hay fever worsened when it got dusty. I bargained with myself every 10 seconds not to give in to a break and the race will be over sooner.



My body was in a frenetic mode after exerting max power for 5.6 kms. My throat was bone dry and I even retched a little after I crossed the finish line.

I hadn't trained specifically for the race but it seems that Zumba and Bokwa has had a positive influence on my time of 28m 25s. I was the fastest female runner in my company and it was my best time ever.

On Saturday I went to my usual Zumba and Bokwa classes, rested at home and went out to Believe which is a 2 hour Zumba masterclass. I was excited to see Beto Perez, the creator of Zumba. I also got to see the Zumba instructor trainer for my certification in a few weeks!

I went with a Zumba friend. The doors opened at 6pm and the class didn't start until 8pm. There was no entertainment while we waited.

We knew there was going to be competition for the front but was like a mosh pit and annoying trying to dance with limited space. I stepped on many toes that night and probably came close to whacking someone in the face. 

The presenters were inspirational and I sweated my butt off. Beto came on at the end and performed four songs. He was brilliant and Fanny Madarasz was on stage too. I've been watching these two on youtube and it was so amazing to see them in real life. 

Would I go again? Probably not. The masterclass is mind blowing but having space to dance is a joke  and access to your water bottle (if not always in your hand) is held at ransom for your spot. The after-party was like a high school disco. 

I dashed off as quickly as possible to shower and wind down at home! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Care to pass a balloon? :)