Pages

Wednesday, May 27, 2015

What's A Good Front Row Diva?

This is my first post on Zumba and Bokwa. 

These dance fitness classes makes me feel alive like someone's lit a fire in my pants. I get stressed when I'm late for class and might miss my usual spot. I'm a "Front Row Diva" but I try to be the likeable kind. 

Here's a blog post on Front Row Divas which I completely agree with. 

I can add a few more points on what I think makes a good Front Row Diva:

1) They observe personal space, including view of the mirror. 
I'm not going to lie, one of the reasons why I like the front row is so I can monitor my movement in the mirror without obstructions. And so do others because most people want to improve their dancing. I try to position myself so people behind me can see themselves in the mirror too. Bad FRDs are oblivious to this. 

2) They interact with others. 
It doesn't mean you have to be chatty with everybody but it helps to smile, laugh a bit and engage with the class. Maybe even make friends. The likeable FRDs are positive influences and want to share their enjoyment. The bad ones are frowny and look like they don't want you anywhere near them.

3) They keep up with the routine. 
I used to think it wasn't fair for newbies to be in the back and not see the instructor as well. The reality is that everyone is learning at different levels and for someone who is experienced, it doesn't help to have newbies crashing into you or be behind people struggling with the choreo. Competent dancers in the front also keeps the routine going for the rest of the class if the instructor pauses from doing the moves. 

4) They don't take breaks mid-class. 
Obviously unless it's an emergency. I've seen a person who is routinely in the front, stop when it's too intense to check their phone or take a break. Maybe they don't care what other people think but simply put, are you a team player? If you're in the most visible part of the room, set an example of yourself.

5) They don't crack the sh*ts if they miss their spot. 
It's first come, first served. New people join the class or your spot is just too tempting for others when you're not standing in it. It happens. Does anyone want to see a tantrum or sulker because a spot was "stolen"? Make an effort to show up earlier next time. And whatever you do, don't ram your way into the studio to nab your position or saunter between people where there isn't enough moving space. No one is falling for that-you're a bad FRD.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Care to pass a balloon? :)