Pages

Monday, January 27, 2014

Super Sized Fries-Indulging in Ghent Belgium

Grant and I got cheap Eurostar tickets-£54 return to Brussels!

I found Brussels to be the least interesting in my travels but it was the gateway to Brugge and Gent. In just three hours from Kings Cross St Pancras, we arrived in Gent. 

The city is tranquil, almost like it was closed on Sundays everyday. But indeed the shops were open and people millling about inside. The old town a bit livlier. There are canals, traditional Flemish architecture and lots of places to eat and drink. Best of all, there were not many tourists. 

Hailed as having the best fries in Ghent, Grant and I pigged out at Frituur 't Puntzakje. The fries were cheap. It's 1 EUR for your choice of sauce. A regular fries was 2,70 EUR and a large was 3,10 EUR. Of course Grant wanted to upsize but when he saw how many fries they shovelled into the fryer, his jaw dropped. When the fries were cooked, almost a quarter of the fries missed our tray when emptied from the fryer basket. This is how much was got for a "regular" serve. They were crunchy and delicious! 

I asked what was in their veggie burgers and "I don't know" was the answer. I passed and lucky I did. Grant's cheeseburger was not great. The patty was DEEP FRIED. It was dirty hangover food so I say stick to their fries instead.

Grant and I had dinner at Cafe Des Arts, a brasserie opposite the Opera House. It was wonderfully Belgian with plenty of beer and delicious food. There were only locals dining and drinking at this place. 

For my starter I ordered half a dozen oysters that came with a huge glass of white wine. I had a Mystic cherry beer as an aperitif and practically inhaled the oysters. I realised after that wine went with the oysters beautifully and I should have taken my time instead of scoffing them down. They were so fresh and plump, it was hard to resist.

Here are my drinks. Mystic fruit beer, white wine and when I asked for "a real beer" I was given a pint of Charles Quint. 

Our food was totally delicious. I broke my diet and had chateaubriand steak (it was worth it). Grant had generous serve of scampi and we shared a creme brulee for dessert. 
Ghent by night. 

Random pic taken the next day as we were walking from Simon Says for coffee to the flower market in Kouter. 

The market wasn't anything special but that was a given as its the middle of winter. Grant and I spent our last hours in Ghent chilling out the Wellness spa in our hotel, the Sandton Grand Hotel Reylof.  

It was sad to check out and leave for Brussels. (But not sad to leave Brussels for London!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Care to pass a balloon? :)