Pages

Sunday, December 29, 2013

Le Tania Day 5 - Rescued By Ski Patrol

I'm kicking myself for not conserving enough energy to blog in the last days of the trip. (As I'm typing this, our bus back to Lyon is gridlocked in traffic.) 

On Boxing Day we got our Christmas wish. I woke up and our balcony covered in fluffy snow. It snowed lots overnight. Finally!


All the pine trees and mountains were dusted white. The picnic bench on our balcony was buried in snow. And it was still snowing, my first this season. 

Even Vari, our chalet host was taking pictures of the new snow and low hanging clouds from our balcony.

A magical view!

The downside was that it was freezing and windy at the top of the mountains. Visibility was poor and after our class, we took a few newbies in our group to Meribel. My favorite run, Blvd Del La Loze was closed due to avalanches so we took an alternate route, just as scenic had it not been for the fog. 

The powder was heavy so it was easy to stay in control. The moguls are fun too. We had great runs in Meribel. There was some moments where the world was so scenic I could cry. There were tree lined runs which were all white. Meribel's gingerbread houses had "frosting" on the roofs.

We headed back to La Tania when some of us were tired and wanted to take lifts down the slopes. But when we got to the top of the mountain, the chair lifts were closed and the conditions were terrible. There were strong winds that whipped snow in our faces and fog so thick we could only see 1m away. 

We followed the run markers one by one and found a steep run which was carved in ice by the wind. I actually avoided this run on a clear day. It was daunting for the experienced skier let alone the newbies. We held steadfast against the wind, procrastinating the inevitable-we had to go down.

I watched other skiers go downs and if they could do it, so could we. I skied down the ice and thankfully 15 meters below was powder. I looked up to see one of our newbies temporarily paralysed with panic at the top. 

It took a few tumbles but thankfully we all made it down. I was skiing in near blindness because my googles frosted over. Another newbie nearly blacked out due to motion sickness from skiing in a whiteout. 

At 4pm I wanted to ski back to La Tania but the others wanted to take a bus from Courchevel. I left them and took the last chairlift towards home. As I was by myself it was freaky when it suddenly stopped. Surely they wont close the lift with me still on it? I gulped as it was getting dark and very very cold.

Luckily the lift started but that was just the beginning of my problems. When I got off, it was dark as night and the winds pushed me around in my skis. 

After staring helplessly at a sign post which didn't have the run I had in mind, I scanned the area for people and when I couldn't see anyone, I forced myself to put on a brave face. 

It was like being blindfolded and blown in all directions. I tried to track my way to the adjoining red run to get home but as I inadvertently slid down a slope, I realised I was drifting back towards Courchevel. 

It was a long and foggy retreat back to Courchevel and I actually wondered how I was going to dig a shelter in case I got stranded.

Then I heard someone say: "hello, hello." 

I turned around and thank The Lord it was'nt a trick of my imagination. There was a ski patrol person asking me where I was going. He said I should go back to Courchevel to take a bus. I already missed the turn off to La Tania and the conditions are unsafe, especially for a lone skier.

I hesitated. I don't know why I was unappreciative of the circumstances but said: "I'm not a beginner and don't want to take the bus. I'd rather ski home." 

The ski patrol guy offered to walk me back to the turn off I intended to take. I backed out and then he had a conversation on his Walkie talkie in French. He told me to wait in the nearby resturant (which I couldn't see before) and another ski patroller who would take me back to La Tania. 

He accompanied me in and it was like a mirage from where I was ten minutes earlier. It was a opulent safety zone, warm and cosy with staff quietly clearing the restaurant for the day. Completely oblivious to the conditions outside. 

The other ski patroller took me back to the top of La Tania gondola on his ski mobile. It was a fun ride. Such lovely French gentlemen they were, carrying my skis and giving me plenty of assurance with their beautiful French accents. I now have a even bigger soft spot for French-ok...men now. I was most appreciative of their chivalry.


I still had to ski down Folyeres to get back to La Tania but it was safe and protected by trees. It was a wonderful experience, skiing when there was no one else (knowing that ski patrol was not far behind).

So on that day, I thanked my lucky stars that ski patrol had found me or otherwise I might not be telling you this story!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Care to pass a balloon? :)