Pages

Saturday, December 28, 2013

La Tania Day 1 - Skiing Solo In Courchevel

Its the first day of my week long ski trip in the French Alps. Because we arrived late the night before, I only got my ski gear after my lesson started.

I was put in another intermediate class with a French lady instructor, Fabienne. She had a gravelly voice and could have been mistaken for male chain smoker. She smoked on the tow bars during our lesson and said "ouis, allez and Bon" a lot. She had an endearing personality and was a very good teacher. 

It was my first time in skis for two years and I'll always remember Fabienne shouting in a heavy French accent: "Emma, don't look at your skis, look at me!" Which I did and then almost by the click of the fingers, my skiing stabilised immensely. 

I could'nt wait to hit the other slopes afterwards. Since I was split from our group already, I spent the entire day skiing alone and it was'nt a bad thing. I was skiing blue and red runs, mostly with ease and there was no fear factor. The conditions were good although a few of the red runs got a bit hairy at the end of the day. The worst were in the shade and are so steep, they looks like cliffs to the depths of the earth. (Lovely view of mountains in the background though!)

I almost got stranded because the lifts were closed and lucky I followed a group of people who were heading back to La Tania. They even stopped to wait for me as I was slower, much to the realisation that my abilities were not as good as I thought.

When I finally burst through the front door of the chalet, I was bathed in sweat and there was only one thing on my mind. A hot bath. When I crept into the almost burning water, there were some wall shaking groans of comfort which I sure the whole chalet could hear. In my usual fashion, I doused myself with ice cold water and felt renewed afterwards.

We put our Kris Kringle presents under the tree.

The big dinner table in our Christmas jumpers.

Our spacious yet cosy chalet.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Care to pass a balloon? :)