Pages

Sunday, December 16, 2012

Baking Swedish Polar Bread


I got up this sunny Sunday and made my first batch of Polarbread. As mentioned in a previous post, I love this sweet soft rye bread. I found a recipe from the internet and altered the portions of ingredients to make eight flatbreads. (I did'nt really measure as I went along as otherwise I'd post the recipe.)

The dough was wetter than normal bread dough. To prevent sticking I kneaded with a silicone spatula on a clean glass surface (ie my cooktop). It worked a treat and made dividing easier. I gave the dough an hour for the first rise and shaped into flatbreads.  I made holes with a chopstick and sprinkled on fennel seeds. Gave it 45 mins for the second rise and baked in a very hot oven for 4-5 mins.

They were cooled on a rack and enjoyed with soft cheese and fresh ground pepper. My personal fave is also add a smidgen of marmite, thick slices of really good tomatoes and a sprinkling of sea salt. 

  

The Polar Bread smelt wonderful and although it's not as airy as the commercial kind, they were just as delicious! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Care to pass a balloon? :)