Pages

Saturday, October 6, 2012

Paris - Staying In The Fifth

It's back to Paris and this time my mission was the La Grande Classique, a 16 km race from The Effiel Tower to Versailles Palace. 

I took the Eurostar and found my apartment from Airbnb. This time I stayed on the Left Bank near Les Gobelins. 

My hostess was a friendly single mum with two cats. She's a French teacher and two full walls of her living room were of books. Her cats were adorable, especially a frisky ginger kitten. 

Her daughter's room was pink. Carpet and walls included. It was comfortable, cheap (only £18 per night) and spacious which is alot better than a hostel. And the location is a street away from Rue Mouffetard, a quaint and hilly street lined with gourmet food shops and restaurants. 

After I checked in, I walked to Tolbiac on the 13th. Home of Vietnamese restaurants and where I met a girlfriend for a late lunch at Pho 13. The pho was epic and the bowls are big as my head.

Our lunch ended at 4pm and I made a mad dash to the south of Paris to register for the race. I had to present my doctor's certificate (commonly required for French races) and pick up my shirt and time chip. 

In the evening I carb loaded even though I was'nt hungry. Went back to my very favourite restuarant, La Nouvelle Epoque. I love love love it there and the owner knows me now. I even got the same waitress as on my last trip in Dec. The place is so homely and they really take pride in their food and service. 

I started with my favourite french dish, escargot with garlic butter. I ate it with two baskets of bread.

Main course was beefsteak and chips. With butter.

I wasn't planning on have a third course but their lemon meringue tart is delicious and the balance of acidity to sweetness is perfect.  

On the way home I had to take a pic of this metro poster. I saw it in all the train stations in Paris. If you could hear a young child exclaim the title in French, you'd melt. "Choupy!"
 

Back in the flat the ginger kitty raced to greet me at top speed. And sneaked into my room to play with my sneakers. 

 Mmmmm yummy shoelaces.

Sneaker...zzz. Actually he was'nt sleeping, he was trying to maul them.

I prepared for the early morning start and had to cajole the kitten out from under my bed. He knew I was about to sleep and wanted to keep playing. I had to grab him from his hiding spot, leave him outside and close the door.

My race stuff, ready to go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Care to pass a balloon? :)