Pages

Monday, February 27, 2012

To Catch A Pickpocket

I had an encounter with a pickpocket tonight.

On my way to dinner, I got out of Leicester Square tube. Suddenly I felt tugging at my bag and I knew something was'nt right. I turned around and saw a man with his hand in it!

He yanked it out and tried to look nonchalant. But because he did'nt take anything, I just turned away disgusted.

Suddenly I heard a man and a woman screaming "We saw you pickpocketing!!!" They came out of nowhere and the man crash tackled the pickpocket and pinned him to the ground.

"We are the police and you're under arrest for pick pocketing!!!"

Yeah, take that ya thieving bastard!

So they were uncover cops, not vigilantes. The offender was handcuffed and taken away. Everything happened so quickly, it was like street theatre.

The woman showed me her police badge. I think she was more rattled than I was because her hands were shaking.

It turns out the pickpocket is a repeat offender. Due to the volume of thefts, most first and second time offenders are given a 3 month warning. Hopefully my police report will send him to jail this time.

What luck that my pickpocket got caught in the act!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Care to pass a balloon? :)