Pages

Thursday, March 31, 2016

Tips For New Zumba Instructors When Someone Walks Out

A walk out is when a participant leaves during a class and doesn't come back. Perhaps it wasn't my first, but I noticed this occasion because there were only 6 people to begin with. She was in the front row. Maybe two others didn't like my teaching style either. They chatted between tracks and I even heard one of them say: "are you kidding me?" as I was demonstrating quarter-turns. Most of them got confused turning all the way around, even when I said,"quarter turn, towards the mirror/sports hall/back of the studio."

I could only assume most participants were beginners. I toned down the moves and stayed on them for longer. I faced the mirror when they asked me to. But I still wasn't connecting with the them.

After the class I happened to be reception at the same time as the lady who walked out. When she saw me, she apologized for leaving early. I still had to question myself though. She didn't look like she was getting the moves and appeared unhappy before she walked out.

Was were my moves too advanced? Were my cues insufficient? Maybe the music wasn't to their taste? Did I come across as rude?

From then I learnt to ask in advance the class's preferred instructing style so I come better prepared. I now teach facing the mirror if there's one in the studio. And I address females in the class as "ladies" and not "girls". Not that I've had complaints-I should just be more PC.

More valuable tips to keep your participants engaged:

1) Beginners might only pick up the arm or the footwork but not both. If people are having trouble, give them the option of doing one or the other.
2) People can be impatient if they don't get the moves easily and give up. Stay focused on teaching the routine. If others are succeeding, that can be their source of motivation.
3) Keep breaks between tracks as short as possible to keep the energy in the room flowing. I aim not to take a break at all.
4) If someone is not even remotely doing the moves but they're still moving to the music, assume they have an injury or that they are happy to do their own thing.
5) Walkouts still happen to the best of instructors. And sometimes the class won't want to "whoop whoop" when you prompt them to. It's nothing personal. Don't waste precious energy overthinking it.
6) Ask for feedback from the participants and from the gym co-ordinator. Welcome it whether it's good or bad. It's helps you build a thick skin and helps you develop as an instructor.

So fellow new Zumba instructors, walk outs are learning experiences. Maybe we're unwittingly giving off the wrong vibe or the class isn't in sync with the way you teach. Or maybe they had a bad sandwich for lunch.

We all start our journey from somewhere. With practice, we improve as instructors. I'm determined that it will only a matter of time!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Care to pass a balloon? :)