Pages

Friday, February 19, 2016

Crocheting And A Hack For Sore Fingers

I've taken up crocheting as a new hobby. I learnt the basics as a kid but never made anything I could actually wear. There wasn't anyone around how could teach me beyond the very basics. Fast forward to now where any can learn about anything on Youtube. 

After watching video tutorials on how to make a granny blanket, I ordered a stack of cotton yarn, a set of knitting needles and a crochet hook. The knitting needles are for a scarf project for later, although I might have missed the boat on wearing it before it gets warm.

This is the beginning of my granny blanket for my sister. It's a mindless project which I find relaxing. I just love working on the blanket in silence as I get to think alot. 

I've learnt to check my row at every corner as I've had unravel half an hour's work twice when I realised I've missed stitches. So annoying when that happened but the OCD in me wanted to make sure the blanket was perfect. 

I've worked out a hack for sore fingers when crocheting, whether it's pressure from the hook (as I hold mine like I'm writing) or burns from the yarn. I cut off a leg of old pantyhose, roughly 20 cms long and knot the ends together. You want to loop to be big enough to comfortably wrap twice over your fingers as pictured. Voila, protective cushioning that takes less than 10 seconds to make!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Care to pass a balloon? :)