Pages

Friday, January 15, 2016

Singapore Airlines Premium Economy Long Haul Review

I fly between Sydney and London almost every year and concluded that long haul flights involves a recovery period similar to surgery. While that's mostly due to jetlag, it doesn't help when I never sleep on planes.

Despite all this flying, I'll never be one of those lucky people who get upgraded to business class. So I finally shelled out for premium economy. I checked a few airlines and at the time Singapore Airlines offered the best value PE seats, priced 25% more than an economy seat. 

This is way cheaper than business class but you still get to check in at the business class queue and your checked in baggage receives the same priority. This is perfect for me as I usually get to the airport around 1-1.5 hrs before the flight.

The cabin area for PE is curtained off from economy and if you're on an A380, you don't have to walk through business class to get to your seat. The PE seats are at the immediate right of the door. 

There are only 36 PE seats on an A380 and 28 on an A777. The rows are made up of two, four and two seats with two spaces for bassinettes. A tip is is that A380 planes offer more space for window seats as there is a sizeable gap between the armrest and the wall. 

The downside to a PE ticket is that if you travel in peak times and need to change your flight dates, you may have difficulty finding availability. You can pay for a upgrade to a higher class seat, but you cannot be downgraded to economy. 

The PE seat is leather with bigger width and pitch. Even I felt the difference and I'm petite. There is more leg room and storage space. The tray table is kept in the arm rest. There is a leg rest which I would prefer it go higher. The entertainment screen is bigger with HD and over the ear headphones are provided. While I don't need the extra leg space, I found it handy to keep a large handbag, a travel pillow and my own blanket under the seat in front of me. 

Was I able to sleep in PE? Sadly no. Unless I'm lying down 180 degrees, I slide because I can't rest sitting up. PE is no substitute for flat beds.

There is a fair amount space between me and the next passenger. I was even able to "walk over" my sleeping (female-also-petite) neighbour to get to the bathroom without disturbing her. 

In PE they serve real champagne (decent but not great) and better food. You can even pre-order your meals online but I was happy to go with the flow. 

Is PE worth it? In my opinion, yes for any long haul flight. A cheaper alternative is to book a preferred seat with more leg room in economy however you risk getting annoyed by the close proximity to the bassinettes (ie, screaming babies) or toilet doors.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Care to pass a balloon? :)