Pages

Monday, April 6, 2015

Spring Round Up - What's Been Happening

It's the Easter long weekend and so far I've done my Saturday gym-a-thon. My girlfriend Kim made a batch of revitalising Chinese soup and enticed me over to hers. Exactly what I needed to feel fortified. So much has happened in 2015 and this weekend was the first time I could relax.

Later I went out for cocktails. Except I only drank sparkling water and I feel terrific. Especially after a lie-in, (British speak for sleeping in). I love not feeling the after-affects of booze. Shows how old I'm getting!

Getting back to the unwinding bit. Not long ago I was in St Aton, Buffalo/NYC, and I went skiing again in Bad Gastein. The trips were exhausting. When I got back, I had to pass the Life In The UK test and apply for permanent residence.

I put in hours of studying and preparation. Did you know I've collected 188 passport stamps and had 56 trips outside the UK in the past 5 years? The day came when I brought my docs to the Border Agency. I had no intention of doing this when I first moved to London. But I walked out of there two hours later with a letter to say I have permanent residence. Next year is British citizenship!

Until March next year I have to keep my absences out of the UK within 90 days to qualify. I have a trip back to Sydney later this year after I'm made redundant from my job.

I was told of my redundancy in Bad Gastein. My boss with HR rang me while I was in a gondola. It took an hour for reality to sink in. That I will no longer be employed by my company after July.

That will be five and a half years service and the second longest job I've held in my working life. What was I going to do with myself until I find a new job? Catch up on blogging? Set up a business? Become a Zumba instructor? Do a course?

Job hunting starts after Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Care to pass a balloon? :)