Pages

Friday, April 3, 2015

5 NYC Foods I'll Never Forget

1) Chicken and Rice - Street Meat
We arrived in NYC from an early morning (4.30am!) train from Buffalo and I was starving by the time I checked into my hotel. When I joined my friends at the Waldorf Astoria, I was introduced to a much loved food in NYC. 

Opposite from the Astoria is a street vendor. My friend assures me that street food is very safe to eat. He recommended a meal simply known as "Chicken and Rice".  It was cheap (USD 6) and the guy cooks it when you order and it smells amazing. I had it drizzled with red and white sauce as my friend suggested. The minute I had the box in my hands, I wanted to eat it straight away. And I did, as I walked along the street. Shameful but deeply satisfying. The combination of tender grilled chicken with rice and spices was the perfect stomach filler in winter.

 2) NY Strip,  Black and Blue
We had dinner at Strip House. It was the first time I had steak done this way and the char really enhanced the flavour of the steak. It was incredible and huge (600grams). So tasty and tender, I could eat it all night.

3) Bagels
My breakfasts in NYC were of course, bagels with "cwarf-fee". Filter coffee is weak but you can drink alot of it. The bagel was huge and served with a heart stopping slab of cream cheese. Almost an inch thick! There was a bagel shop close to my hotel called Ess-a-bagel and this place is a bagel mecca. In the mornings it's so busy you have queue and get yelled at by the servers. 

4) Hot Dogs
They're synonymous with NYC street food. The Londoners tried them for kicks. Loaded with ketchup and sauerkraut tasted like it came out of a plastic jar. It tasted so...wrong. Most of my hot dog fell on the street. They're disgustingly unhealthy which is why I'll never forget them. Curiosity will have you trying them anyway.

5) Oysters
In Grand Central there is a fresh food market and I bought a dozen oysters. Shucked on the spot and  packed in ice. In my tiny hotel room I sat in bed in front of the TV and I ate them. With chicken rice. Before dinner. Yes I admit it. I should be ashamed but no.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Care to pass a balloon? :)