Pages

Saturday, February 7, 2015

NYC Hotel Review: Pod 51

If you're looking for Manhattan accommodation, you might come across this hotel in your search. It's trendy, modern, and importantly for me, affordable. 

I stayed three nights in Pod 51 recently, close to my friends at the fancy Waldorf Astoria. It's called "pod" for a reason. Their rooms are small but the hotel still has a boutique feel. By downsizing on living space, guests save on accommodation costs. It even has a rooftop terrace which was closed when I stayed there but apparently it's lovely in summer. 

Since it's only me in my queen bed room, the modest floor space of 125 square feet wasn't too much of an inconvenience. There's enough space to walk around the bed and get to my suitcase without obstructions. With two people sharing, it's tight squeeze but manageable if you're not spending alot of time in the room. 

 You can also stay in a double bed room that's 100 square feet or there's smaller rooms with a shared bathroom. In the latter, there is an indicator in the room to tell you when a bathroom is free so you're not poking your head out to check.

My room was a standard room with a queen bed and private bathroom. It was room 320 which is a quiet corner room facing away from the street. I managed to sleep soundly without earplugs which is a bonus because I'm a light sleeper.

The queen bed was comfy. There is a clock radio with an iPod dock (and for charging 3G and 4G iphones), and there is a free WIFI in the room. I love free wifi in the room and it's something the Waldorf doesn't even offer.

A small but serviceable 20-inch LCD TV with local TV channels, a suitcase rack and a narrow desk. There's a place to hang clothes on the right. Note the funky Pablo Pixo lamp-probably more expensive than the TV. Very tempting not to pack it in my suitcase :)

The glass-enclosed bathroom looked like it was hidden in a closet. There's no way two people can fit unless one is in the shower. I think the bathroom would be benefit from a extractor fan. 

There's a rainfall shower head. The water pressure is OK but the shower recess was small, even for me!  

The mini stainless steel basin. I imagine this is what it's like in fancy prison. 

My stay at Pod 51 was comfortable and the staff made me feel welcome. It was like my peaceful retreat from the city. 

A tip: the hotel serves drinks and light meals downstairs, but there are plenty of places you can eat locally. I recommend having a cheap breakfast at Ess-a-Bagel around the corner. It's busy in the mornings and you might get shouted at in an amusing necessary way. They have a huge range of scrummy bagels and other baked goodies.

If you don't want to compromise on comfort, but willing forego on space, Pod 51 is definitely for you!

NB-This is not a sponsored review. I stayed at this hotel at my own expense.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Care to pass a balloon? :)