Pages

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Flying To New York with Norwegian Air Shuttle

It's the third time I've been to New York and I flew with Norwegian Air Shuttle. They now fly transatlantic from Gatwick.

I've flown to Stockholm and Santorini with Norwegian before but this time it was more apparent that it's a budget airline.

The 330 GBP return ticket doesn't include check in baggage. I had to pay 25 GBP extra each way to bring a suitcase. Of course this is to be expected for a super cheap flight but after stacking on the cost of baggage and food, the total is comparable with other airlines on sale at this time of year.

My backpack and handbag were weighed together at the boarding gate. I think I was let through with 11kg because I offered to put on more clothes. (The cabin luggage limit is 10kg apparently including my handbag.)

I was allocated an emergency exit seat for the first ever on a long haul flight. There was more legroom than ever needed although I had to put up with the bathroom doors slamming (and might I mention, unpleasant smells.)

Unlike on Norwegian's European flights, there was no wifi transatlantic. I watched the movie Gatsby and listened to music. There is a good choice of entertainment available, even for a fussy viewer on a not-too-long haul flight.

The in-flight entertainment system has a slot to swipe credit cards to pay for a blanket, food or earphones. They don't accept cash payments. Everything is ordered on screen and movies are interrupted by a recorded announcement that the "snack bar is now open and ready to take your orders". On a plus side, there is no awkward trolley service so there's no long queues for toilets after meals are served.

It's possible to pre-order a meal for £25 including a snack and it's served before passengers who hadn't. I brought my own food. I peeked at my neighbour's meal and it looked a bit unappetising. 

I found the US cabin crew a bit standoff-ish. I received a polite greeting when boarding but then a stoney look that seemed to move me down the aisle faster. I don't think I saw any of them smile. If you don't pay for extras or snacks, you don't have any contact with the staff unless you push the call button on the entertainment system. 

I really needed sleep given as I came from work but not even an emergency exit row can help me sleep on a plane. I have never slept on a plane but just the same, I always fly economy :(

One thing I did note was that on the way back to Gatwick, there was an hour long wait to depart and the pilot made only one announcement about that. I would have appreciated regular updates (even if there was no news). I think overall I wouldn't fly Norwegian transatlantic again as the budget level of service really shows when flying long haul.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Care to pass a balloon? :)