Pages

Sunday, April 6, 2014

Three Weeks To Becoming A Homeowner In London

Buying a flat in London is harrowing. The property market is reaching all time highs and I'm constantly reminded by my agent and vendor's solicitor to hurry up. And most of the time it's not up to me to do the hurrying!

You don't have all the information when you make an offer and you might even be told the wrong information. 

This week I managed to negotiate a small discount which the vendor thought was generous considering that market prices have gone up. But I was told before I made an offer that no works were needed for the building. That was the first lesson learned-don't trust the information the agent tells you. They will say anything within reason to get you keen and let you deal with the truth later if you find out. My agent sold the flat upstairs not long prior and they were privy to the survey. Lo and behold-roof works. 

So when I asked for the discount, the vendor agreed on the basis that I move to immediate exchange of contracts. When the necessary searches were completed, I find out I'm subject to Chancel Repair Liability. It's a legal obligation which has been passed down from an ancient rule which makes property owners liable for repairs to a nearby church. Repair costs can be called upon at anytime. This country has so many strange rules!

It's been a stressful week. Atleast I got to work from home sitting on my recliner all day on Thursday. I was waiting for the arrival of the correct mattress as mentioned in my previous post. And the mattress was just right, as Goldilocks would put it.

On Saturday I went to Zumba and Bokwa. That's seven fitness dance classes done in a week. The two hour workout really tested me out. I felt like a broken lady by the evening. 

Grant took me out to yum cha at Royal China in Baker Street for lunch. Two of my favourite foods, steamed vegetarian dumplings, 

And egg tarts. These came straight from the oven. They were hot, glossy and still jiggly.

On Sunday I had my weekly Facetime chat with my sister, Mum and Lillee. The little munchkin can say "bye bye!" and it was mega cute. My sister said I had a crazy fit when I heard and saw her say it.

And the last photo is of my friend's dog in Dee Why. She said the only thing missing in that photo was me. Sniff...how true. Oh to be back on the shores of Sydney!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Care to pass a balloon? :)