Pages

Sunday, April 7, 2013

Eating In Romania

We arrived in Romania and stopped in Sighasoares for lunch. A recommended restaurant in Tripadvisor was a place called Rustic, dark and pub-like. There was a table near the door which was sectioned off by three glass walls and that's when we realised that they allow smoking indoors. 

I HATE that. It destroys my appetite when I'm in a smoky room, not to mention it's unhealthy and you end up smelling like an ashtray. Every where we dined, we asked for the non-smoking area and even walked out of a well rated restaurant because it stank so badly. (Puzzles me how any country allows smoking indoors but I'll get off my soapbox now.)

We took that partioned-off area. Not that it did much but it was close to the front door. We looked through the menu and saw food and drinks are cheap. There's something for everyone which is good because one of us can't have pork, two are prescatarians, and one only wanted to eat Romanian food.

A traditional Romanian dish was cabbage stuffed "forcemeat" according to the English translation on the menu. We were told it was corned beef but I couldn't help thinking it was another meat which it rhymed with. 

My stomach was not feeling well from the beginning of the trip and I only wanted simple comfort food. The only meat dish I ordered, because I was craving it, was chicken soup. 

Homemade chicken noodle soup. The thin noodles were the perfect texture and this was the best soup I had in Romania. An upset tummy needs soup!

We dined twice at Bella Musica, a restaurant close to our hostel in Brasov Old Town. The food was very good and great value. It's in the basement of a hotel and you feel like you're in a cosy cellar. There are three dining rooms so to get your waiter's attention, you push a button by your table. They even had a song menu so you can choose a retro power ballad with your meal!

My favourite dish at Bella Musica was a starter. This is aubergine salad which is chargrilled aubergine paste on fresh tomato. My prescatarian friend had grilled fish and that was amazingly fresh. (And cheap too. £4 for the whole fish.)

The cheeses of Romania at a market stall outside of Bran Castle. The brown ones are smoked (even the ones that look like brioche.) Other foods on offer were cured meats, nougat and other sweets. 

Lunch in Bran with gal pals. We all ate well!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Care to pass a balloon? :)