Pages

Monday, November 5, 2012

Foodie Lyon Weekend

Lyon is a city mainly re known for it's clear blue Rhone and Saone rivers, gastronamie and Roman ruins.

The cheapest route to meet my friends was a flight to Geneva and train to Lyon. On the way I was amazed by how beautiful and blue a river was along the journey. (Isnt it wonderful that crystal clear water runs in abundance here compared to the mud soup in the Thames?)

Lyon Part Dieu station was busier than Paris's Gare Du Nord. I got hassled by gypsy kids at the metro ticket machines, trying to sell me presumably expired train tickets. After making a mistake of yelling NO at them and storming off, I learned a lesson when confronted by scumbag scammers. Never acknowledge their presence. (Unless they're stealing your valuables.)

I returned and one of the was sitting in front of a ticket machine. I pretended they weren't there and a security guy shooed them away.

I found my friends in the Opera area and we went on a foodie quest. We went to a fabulous patisserie Chocolatier Bouillet. Their offerings are TDF. The pastries are so beautiful, I wanted to eat them all!

I did however eat two macaroons, a tarte and a huge slice of flan. I was ready to fly!

We had dinner in one of the Paul Bocuse brasseries L'Est which was a departure from the unassuming joints I go to but the food was very good.

As it was raining we ended the evening by having cheap but good French wine (£3.50 a bottle from the convenience store and the store keeper opened them for us as well.)

The next day started late and by the time we checked out, we were famished. So what does a bunch of orientals do for breakfast in Paris? We have pho.

We enjoyed a couple of dozen oysters at a street market near the river. They were shucked on the spot and were delicious.

We took the funicular to the Basilica for an optimal viewpoint of the city. My boots were soaked through and as I climbed out of the station, I was greeted by a cathedral.

After many years of European traveling, the last thing you want to see was another church. This one was just the same however it does offer a superb view of the rivers, rooftops and an-out-of-place hotel tower in the center.

We sheltered from the rain in a chocolatier patisserie tea room. Then we walked through the old town.

For my last meal in Lyon, I had quenelle lyonnaise, which is a baked dumpling in seafood sauce. I found it to be like a dense souffle. Still it was very nice.

I took off abruptly to make my train to Annecy. I hadn't planned this part well. The transport map was a little confusing. By the time I made it to the main train station with my stuff (let this be a lesson to carry around your gear on the last day with you if it's not too heavy). I missed train by far and away.

To get out of Lyon sooner, I took an extra long route to Annecy, changing at Chambery. By then I was worried about arriving late and having to find my hostel in darkness.

I got there and as usual got lost. I was on the right side of the station, then the wrong side (freaked out as it was dead quiet except for two hooligans hanging out) and then quickly back on the right side.

There were moments I ran like a kid down a hallway at night because they were scared of the dark.

It was really coming down and my map was soggy. I walked over one of the canals which sounded like Niagara Falls and the black water looked fatally dangerous.

Just when I started to freak out, I got even more freaked out because I was passing a cemetary. It's one of my fears and I could'nt help thinking about that horrible massacre which happened a few months ago near Annecy, (A lone crazy gunman was one of the possible reasons,)

To make matters worse, I was sure I was lost and could barely read my almost-pulpy map. I called the hostel and the guy told me to wait on the street and he will find me. That happened to be in front of a funeral home so I was scared out of my wits!

Needless to say I was so grateful to get to my hostel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Care to pass a balloon? :)