Pages

Monday, September 17, 2012

Malta - The Last Day and Night

On this day I wanted to spent as much time on Gozo as possible. The island was serene, picturesque and I loved my hotel room.

I sadly checked out of the hotel and took a rooftop bus tour of the island. It was good for getting around and sightseeing because Gozo is hilly and the villages are far apart.

For two hours I stayed on the bus except to take a pic of the Azure window.


I saw rustic and arid countryside between the villages. The island "capital" Victoria was decorated with a Roman Catholic theme.


The double decker bus somehow got through perilous narrow single lane streets. At times I could have stuck my arm through someone's window from my seat!

A few villages were still developing, seemingly abandoned (although it was Sunday).


By the end I had slathered on too much sunscreen and used my tour map to shield from the relentless UV rays. It was time to go back to the main island and find where I was staying the night.


The bus ride to Sliema was crowded and it took almost an hour. As we headed south, my heart sank as I watched small towns turn into prolific highrises and fast food shops. From St Julian's to Sliema and beyond, it was like The Gold Coast on steroids. Where did this new money come from? There was'nt an original building in sight.

Although it was all new, there were shit box cars kahooning down the streets and people hanging out with nothing to do.

I found my accommodation for the night which was a very cheap stay from Airbnb. And when I got there, I realised why it was so cheap.

The flat was new and waterfront but the hostess had five other guests staying. I shared a room with a German girl and our room was internal. The window opened to a narrow shaft for ventilation, or lack there of. It was stinking hot as there was no air-con.

To while away my last night, I headed to Valletta to explore. I crossed the harbour via water taxi which felt James Bond-ish. Fort St Elmo can be seen from Sliema and at dusk, Valletta looked mysterious.

I did'nt have a map so I relied on my instincts walking through cobble stone streets to the city center. There did'nt appear to be any signs of life except the distant sounds of TVs and a few stray cats.

It was dark and the streets were deserted. I still felt safe-ish and admittedly I was scared too since I was alone.

Fortunately before I found the centre quickly. The shops were closed but many were still outdoors enjoying the balmy night.

One moment that sticks to my memory was listening to a busker playing accordion in a shadowy street. It was the first time I felt like I was in a magical world.

I got home and took another cold shower. Stood out on the balcony for a while watching the traffic go by. At midnight there were still people hanging out, even young children.

The flats in this area are densely built. I glanced at a neighbour who was bemused watching this strange girl next to his balcony and I took that as a cue to go to bed.

My sheets felt clean but smelled mildewy. The German girl was asleep. (I don't know how in the heat.) I closed my eyes and laid in bed sweating, telling myself it will be over in six hours.

A few hours later I opened my eyes and realised there was a ceiling fan! I turned it on without caring if my roommate minded. She tossed and turned afterwards but atleast air was circulating through the room. I got an hour of unbroken sleep before I had to leave for the airport. Lucky the bus stop was just across the street.

Sunrise on the harbour was beautiful. My host was kind enough to make me a sandwich roll for breakfast. The water was painted in shades of orange and pink. The sky was brightening. I felt like a dog's dinner.

My Maltese getaway was over and on that note, I was glad to be heading home.












No comments:

Post a Comment

Care to pass a balloon? :)