Pages

Sunday, September 2, 2012

Diner-ing in NYC

I'm having breakfast at the counter of Metro Diner at 100 St on Broadway.

I'm greeted by the cashier at the door and once seated, a tall glass of water (with a tonne of ice) is placed in front of me. I'm automatically asked how I am and if I want coffee.

Pastries, slices and muffins are temptingly displayed on the counter.

I order my favorite breakfast, French toast with bacon and the Italian waiter (you know with *that* NY accent) gives me a glass of orange juice on the house. He's a vocal and warming character, calling lady and child customers cute pet names and addressing men with "sir" or "brother".

He tops up my coffee which is on the weak side but that's ok.

By the time I ask for the check, the diner is extremely busy and the guy was kind enough not to charge for coffee. He gushes with syrupy compliments and when I say: "thank you, you're too kind", he's already walked away to serve another customer.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Care to pass a balloon? :)