Pages

Friday, August 10, 2012

Finally On Gozo Island

Of hot hot Malta.

It took me most of a day to get here via tube, bus, flight, another bus, ferry and stinking hot walk uphill to my hotel. I feel like I've trekked halfway across Europe to a remote island and that's exactly what I did!

Some places in Malta look like ancient cites. The buildings are box shaped and built into the hills, ranging from eggshell to tan colored. The locals here are bronzed and laid back.

As a natural forager, my eyes were gleaming at the abundance of wild cactus (prickly pear) and fig trees.

I'm staying at The Grand Hotel. Was a bit sneaky and booked an internal room for the first night and a sea view room for the second, knowing that I'd be upgraded for both nights. My room by Mediterranean standards is exquisite. And lookey at my hotel room view!


Went to the grocery shop to pick up supplies. Can you believe these imitations???


Took a "shortcut" from hotel to dinner. It was a weathered narrow track where skinks and other dark little thingys jumped out of your path. And I had to pass a gauntlet of giant cactus. Their prickly leaves were almost the size of my head.


The harbor is still being built. There was piles of rubble and a cat who stalked diners for food.

I had fresh grilled Bream (suspiciously smaller than the examples displayed at my table by the waitress) and Maltese rose wine. It was delicious.


Waddled back to my hotel with the remainder of my half bottle of wine and mineral water.

Ps. I love the hotel room.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Care to pass a balloon? :)